Depression in dogs and CBD
Depression is a disease that one might think is reserved for humans, but many studies have shown that all animals can suffer from it. Our friends the dogs are frequently affected by this disease, just like the cats. Sensitive and routine by nature, our friends like it when their lives are calm and regular. But sometimes certain life changes can produce stress and anxiety in them, which can eventually lead to canine depression.
What are the symptoms of depression in dogs ?
Symptoms of depression in dogs can manifest themselves in a variety of ways, the most common of which are as follows :
- Apathy and isolation : the dog is insensitive to what's going on around him, and moves very little, isolating himself, or even moving away when someone wants to interact with him. He is no longer interested in games or outings.
- Decreased appetite : dogs are animals that rarely refuse a meal. If you notice that your pet has little or no interest in his bowl, and is losing weight, seek the advice of a veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Light sleep : dogs have a very light sleep, raising their head at every noise, or even jumping, their anxiety is permanent.
- Cleanliness problems : while your dog was clean, he sometimes has "accidents". This is a sign very often linked to stress, anxiety or a well-established depression.
Causes of depression in dogs
Have you noticed that your pet has one or more of the above symptoms and your veterinarian has just confirmed your suspicions? It is then important to determine the causes that may have contributed to your dog's condition. Here are a few clues :
- A change of environment : dogs are highly territorial. A move can sometimes be very disruptive for these animals, to the point of making them depressed if their new home does not suit them. For example, a dog that used to go out and can no longer do so.
- The absence, or loss of a loved one : it is well known that dogs can be very attached to a human or even another animal, such as a cat, or another dog for example. A separation, perhaps experienced harshly by your hairball, can cause anxiety, which can lead to depression.
- Boredom : Lack of stimulation or stimulation can be harmful to our pets. When dogs live in an apartment or house, with no possibility of going out, other than one or two daily walks, stimulation is sometimes rare, especially if there are no facilities to avoid boredom for the animals.
- Too early weaning : veterinarians agree that a puppy should not be separated from its mother before the minimum age of 8 weeks. To take the puppy away from its mother before this age, is to lose it in an unknown world, and difficult to face without the reassuring presence of its mother.
How can you help your pet overcome depression ?
Now that you have determined the reason(s) that plunged your pet into this depressive state, you will be able to act more easily before the illness gets worse. For example, if boredom is the cause of the depression, plan several times during the day to play with your dog, as well as new toys, which you will change often so that your pet doesn't get tired of them. More activity will also contribute to a more restful sleep, and a quicker recovery. As part of a change of environment, place the things your dog likes in different areas of your home so that they are more welcoming to him.
How can Cannabidiol Oil (CBD) help your dog regain his joy of life ?
Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is a substance obtained from industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa). Few people know this, but cannabis is actually a family of plants with very different virtues :
- Cannabis Sativa (industrial hemp) rich in CBD, very very low in THC (less than 0.2% according to the law, then 0% in the finished product).
- Cannabis Indica, poor in CBD, and very rich in TH
- Cannabis Ruderalis, low in CBD and THC
THC is a psychotropic substance, which is illegal in many countries. CBD, on the other hand, is not psychotropic, its marketing and consumption are perfectly legal. There is no THC in CBD oil, your dog will not get high. But his anxiety will decrease, in fact several studies have shown the antidepressant and anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol :
- According to one study, cannabidiol (CBD) acts as a fast-acting antidepressant by amplifying the signaling pathways used by serotonin, as shown by the University of Cantabria (Spain, 2015).
- Cannabidiol acts as an antidepressant according to an Israeli study published in 2016.
- CBD reduces anxiety. (Campos et al. 2012, Elbatsh et al. 2012).
- Two 2012 studies (CAMPOS et al, ELBATSH et al.) showed that CBD has calming effects on anxiety in both humans and animals.
- In 2013, a study on 48 subjects suffering from anxiety highlighted the anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol, even at low doses.