CBD, overweight and obesity in dogs
Overweight and obesity are increasingly common problems in pets, and dogs are no exception. This overweight is linked to an excessive accumulation of body fat, which can be detrimental to your dog's health. Complications caused by too much weight are legion (heart and respiratory problems, diabetes, osteoarthritis, cancers, etc.). Let's see together what steps you can take to get your dog back to a healthy weight, and how CBD oil (cannabidiol) can help you in this process.
What is overweight and obesity ?
Overweight and obesity is an excessive accumulation of body fat, which is harmful to health. Overweight is characterized as being 10% overweight above the reference weight, obesity is defined as being over 20%. It is much more difficult to measure fat mass in dogs than in humans. The estimate is therefore based on 4 factors :
- 1) Examination of the animal's silhouette.
- 2) Weighing. In order to verify the weight according to certain known references (breed, age, sex, etc.)
- 3) The body condition index, measured according to several scales, the most commonly used being the SHAPE (Size, Health & Physical Evaluation).
- 4) The percentage of body fat, evaluated from the Body Mass Index. It is from these results that the veterinarian will be able to set up, together with the dog owner, a feeding strategy aimed at reducing the animal's weight.
The effects of excess weight in dogs
Overweight or obese animals are much more prone to certain serious diseases, impacting their life expectancy. The pathologies most frequently found in overweight or obese dogs are :
- Exercise intolerance
- Heart and Respiratory Problems
- Joint disorders
- Dermatological conditions
- Lipidosis of the liver
- Hormonal problems
- Decreased life expectancy
In France, according to several studies, about 1/3 of dogs are overweight or obese.
Why does a dog gain weight ?
Several factors can contribute to weight gain in animals. When we offer our dog more calories than he expends during the day, then the excess calories will be stored as body fat. A diet that is far too rich, or that does not respect the dogs' eating habits, but also insufficient physical activity will promote weight gain. Other elements can also be involved, such as sterilization, certain diseases, stress, etc.
How can you help your dog regain his healthy weight ?
Are you ready to do everything you can to help your dog regain full health? Then a little patience, because it is advisable to target a weight loss goal of about 1% of the initial weight per week. This very moderate pace allows the dog's stomach to adapt to a less calorie-rich food or to a lower quantity of food, or both. Here are 3 areas to focus on :
- Adapted kibbles. Some brands offer low-calorie kibbles that are rich in protein and fiber. They have the advantage of allowing the dog to maintain his muscles through a high protein intake, but also to satisfy him thanks to the fiber. You can also add some green vegetables rich in fibre, such as beans, cucumbers, zucchinis, cut into small pieces and mixed with the kibbles.
- Move it up. If your dog lives in an apartment and has no outside access, he will naturally tend to be less active. Therefore, offer him long walks where he can run around freely. Many toys that you will change regularly so that he doesn't get tired of them, will occupy his days more actively. Play with him, and you'll both have a great time.
- CBD (cannabidiol), a few drops of CBD oil every day, will reduce your cat's appetite and strengthen his health.
CBD, appetite reduction, and weight loss
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a substance belonging to the cannabinoids, molecules found in industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa), and more generally in the different kinds of cannabis. You have probably already heard of another famous cannabinoid, THC, whose use is prohibited because it is psychotropic. Cannabidiol (CBD) is not "high", its marketing and consumption are legal since 2018. Indeed, CBD has an impressive therapeutic potential, and is therefore the subject of frequent studies, of which the following are those concerning our subject:
- A 2012 study (GW Pharmaceuticals), shows that CBD (cannabidiol) significantly reduces the amount of food absorbed in animals.
- According to other observations (Farrimond 2012, Ignatow Ska-Jankowska 2011, and Scopinho 2012) CBD has a great potential in the treatment of overweight and obesity.
- In 2010, a study shows that the effects of CBD (cannabidiol) reduce weight gain in animals. (Skajankowska)