CBD and diabetes in cats
Diabetes is not just a disease for humans, our four-legged friends can also suffer from it. This disease can cause serious health problems if it is not treated promptly. This is why it is important to know how to recognize the warning signs of a diabetic cat. We will learn how to spot these signals and see how the CBD can be an additional help for your cat.
What is diabetes ?
1 in 100 house cats is said to have diabetes, whereas in humans we are more than 1 in 10. Diabetes is a chronic disease that will prevent the cat's body from producing or using a hormone called insulin. Produced by the pancreas, insulin allows glucose to enter cells to make energy. In the absence of insulin, glucose accumulates in the blood. The blood sugar level explodes, gradually causing damage to the feline's body. Diabetes is therefore a pathology to be taken seriously, because without treatment it can cause serious complications, such as neuropathy, blindness, kidney failure, etc.
There are 2 types of diabetes:
Type 1 diabetes
The pancreas produces no, or very little insulin, it is insulin-dependent diabetes. It usually affects young cats.
Type 2 diabetes
It is characterized by chronic hyperglycemia. Insulin levels are normal or increased. Insulin no longer plays its role properly.
In diabetic cats, certain symptoms can generally be observed such as :
- an increase in thirst
- an increase in appetite
- more abundant and sticky urine
- possible weight reduction
Diagnosis and treatment
Only the veterinarian will be able to establish a diagnosis, thanks to one of the blood and urine tests. If the suspicions are confirmed and according to the type of diabetes, the treatment will be different:
- Type 1 diabetes : this is the more problematic of the two. The cat will receive one to two injections of insulin per day, generally in the skin of the neck, according to the instructions given by the veterinarian.
- Type 2 diabetes : insulin injections will not necessarily be necessary, however it will be necessary to modify your cat's eating habits in order to reduce the amount of blood sugar in the animal's blood. It is therefore necessary to buy low-carbohydrate kibbles, generally intended for diabetic cats.
What is CBD ?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is part of the cannabinoid family, it comes from industrial hemp (cannabis). Cannabinoids are naturally occurring molecules that interact with cannabis receptors in humans and mammals such as cats. Our bodies naturally produce cannabinoids. However, sometimes this production is not sufficient and the body ends up in a state of chronic endocannabinoid deficiency syndrome. We all have several systems, such as the endocrine, circulatory, nervous, etc. systems, which we all have as animals. But there is a little known one, the endocannabinoid system. Broadly speaking, we could say that its role is to manage the other systems. It is the system of systems. Some studies suggest that an imperfect functioning of the endocannabinoid system is the cause of many diseases. Cannabidiol (CBD), can mimic the action of cannabinoids in our bodies. When we give CBD hemp oil (Cannabis Sativa) we support their internal cannabinoid system. This CBD hemp oil comes from industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa) and is perfectly legal, as it does not contain THC. CBD is authorized in France and in many European countries since 2018.
What if CBD could help your diabetic cat ?
Various research shows that CBD can have a positive action on diabetes and prevent damage to blood vessels.
- In a 2016 study, Dalhousie University in Canada on mice with type 1 diabetes showed a significant decrease in symptoms after CBD administration.
- In 2014 in Nottingham, another study shows the vasodilatory effects caused by the intake of CBD, thanks to its action on CB2 receptors (WHEAL et al. 2014).
- The same group of researchers concluded 1 year later that CBD causes a relaxation of the mesenteric arteries by activating CB1 and vaniolloid receptors.
- Other research on mice has highlighted the preventive potential of CBD for diabetes. During 6 months, the mice were observed by the scientists. 5 specimens not treated with CBD all developed diabetes. While 3 out of 5 mice treated with CBD (cannabidiol) remained healthy.