CBD & Depression
CBD to get better
Depression is an illness that affects 15-20 % of the population during their lifetime. Symptoms are great sadness, fatigue, anxiety, and a feeling of constant suffering. The negative effects on professional and social life are sometimes extremely important for those who are ill. Depression is an illness that can be treated with psychotherapy and antidepressant medication.
The different forms of depression
Depression is an illness that can take many forms :
- A major depressive state : this state is characterized by great sadness that lasts at least two weeks. The effects of the illness have a resounding impact on the life of the sick person.
- Post-partum depression : this illness affects approximately 15 % of women who have just given birth. It is a profound depression, mixed with anxiety, stress, and mood disorders. The first symptoms are felt during the first month after giving birth. This type of depression can last up to 3 months.
- Seasonal depression : it occurs at the arrival of autumn or winter with the decrease in brightness and the shortening of the days. The effects are a decrease in energy and low morale. Various studies have shown that in Europe about 4.5% of the population is affected by this phenomenon, a large majority of whom are women.
Depression causes several manifestations in the sick person, they affect both body and mind.
The most common physical symptoms :
- Great fatigue
- Trouble sleeping
- Intellectual difficulty (slowing down, loss of concentration, difficulty remembering, etc.)
- Pain (migraines, digestive problems, etc.)
- Appetite disorders, with possible weight variation
Most common psychological symptoms
- Deep sadness, with anxiety and stress
- A disinterest in activities that are usually pleasurable.
- A devaluation, and a feeling of guilt
- Suicidal thoughts
It is necessary to consult !
If you experience one or more of these manifestations, we recommend that you consult your doctor promptly. The earlier the depression is treated, the easier it is to heal. Your family doctor or another specialist will be able to determine whether you are suffering from depression or another disorder that may cause similar manifestations.
Depression is treatable, and it is entirely possible to cure it. A double treatment, by psychotherapy and antidepressant medication, gives excellent results.
- Psychotherapies : are treatments of the mind that aim to free the sick person's speech in order to identify the causes of depression. The relationship between the patient and the therapist is based on trust, without fear of judgment or criticism, speech is free.
- Antidepressant drugs : their mission is to reduce the symptoms and their consequences, but also to prevent possible relapses. The effectiveness of antidepressants is not immediate, generally 2 to 4 weeks are necessary before observing an improvement in the symptoms of depression.
CBD and depression
CBD (cannabidiol) is a molecule belonging to the family of cannabinoids found in cannabis. Cannabis as a plant consists of three subspecies :
- Cannabis Sativa, also called industrial hemp : very rich in CBD (cannabidiol) and very poor in THC (less than 0.2%).
- Cannabis Indica : very poor in CBD, and very rich in THC
- Cannabis Ruderalis : low in CBD, and low in THC.
THC is also a cannabinoid, but it is illegal because it causes powerful psychotropic effects. CBD, unlike THC, has no high, making it perfectly legal. Its consumption and marketing have been authorized since 2018. CBD (cannabidiol) is generally consumed in the form of CBD oil to be taken by spoon. Other forms of oil also exist, such as CBD paste, CBD e-liquid, or CBD chewing gum or oil capsules. In recent years, CBD has been the subject of many studies, as its therapeutic potential is immense. These studies cover many areas of health such as cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, chronic pain, etc. But also on anxiety, stress and depression.
- In 2015, a study from the University of Cantabria in Spain showed that CBD could be a new antidepressant drug with rapid action, because it amplifies the signalling pathways in the cerebral cortex. (reaction to serotonin and glutamate)
- In 2016, an Israeli study came to the same conclusion, the CBD shows antidepressant properties.