CBD and Restless Legs Syndrome.
The CBD for relief.
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is a disease that causes a compelling need for leg movement. More intense at the end of the day and at night, it has the effect of impairing the quality of sleep and rest. Symptoms may be more or less pronounced depending on the patient and may occur more or less regularly. Let's take a look at the causes of RLS and how CBD (cannabidiol) can help.
What are the symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) ?
This syndrome is characterized by an absolute, irresistible need to move the legs because of sensations such as tingling, itching or tingling.if these sensations are not very painful, they are particularly annoying and annoying in everyday life. It is at the end of the day that the symptoms of the disease are most present, creating impatience in the legs and uncontrolled movements. Restless Legs Syndrome also disrupts sleep, as these movements are also present in the evening and at night.
Causes of Restless Legs Syndrome
The causes of this pathology are not yet very well defined, however, it is accepted that there is a genetic component that may contribute to the occurrence of restless legs syndrome. Thus, it often happens that several people in the same family suffer from RLS. However, other reasons may contribute to the disease :
- Lack of iron in the body
- Dopamine deficiency
- A pre-existing disease (diabetes, kidney failure, etc.)
- Lack of rest
Existing medications do not cure RLS, but are designed to reduce or eliminate the symptoms of this condition. If the disease is related to another condition, it will need to be treated to hope that the symptoms disappear.
Other measures can also greatly improve the effects of the disease :
- Limiting or eliminating tobacco and alcohol
- Reduce coffee or tea consumption
- Favour a balanced diet
- Regaining good sleep habits
CBD and Restless Legs Syndrome
CBD (cannabidiol) is a molecule of great interest in scientific research for its beneficial effects on health. Coming from industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa), it is most often consumed in the form of CBD oil. And if the word cannabis frightens you, it is important to know that cannabis is actually a "family" of plants :
- Cannabis Sativa, rich in CBD, very low in THC (less than 0.2% according to the law)
- Cannabis Indica, low in CBD, and very rich in THC
- Cannabis Ruderalis, low in CBD and THC
The only plant whose culture is authorized is the Cannabis Sativa (industrial hemp), from which CBD and many other products are derived.
What benefits could CBD offer when suffering from Restless Legs Syndrome?
- In 2017 a French study showed that taking CBD improves the symptoms of RLS.
- An English study published in 2014 showed that CBD maximally relaxes the blood vessels (WHEAL et al.).
- Several researches have shown that the effect of CBD improves sleep, and reduces the time needed to fall asleep.