CBD and fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia, also known as fibromyalgia syndrome, is a disease that mixes painful physical symptoms and psychological symptoms whose effects strongly impact the quality of life of patients. This disease, which was not well known until a few years ago, affects approximately 2 % of the European population, which represents more than 150 million people. What is fibromyalgia, and how CBD oil (Cannabis Sativa) can help sufferers ?
What is fibromyalgia ?
Fibromyalgia (fibromyalgia syndrome) is a disease characterized by diffuse and permanent muscular and articular pain throughout the body, great fatigue, as well as sleep disorders, anxiety disorders, which can sometimes lead to depression. This syndrome does not lead to serious complications, however, living with this disease is extremely complicated, the accomplishment of daily tasks is sometimes difficult, as the pain is so disabling. Fibromyalgia has only been recognized by the Health Organization since 1992.
To diagnose fibromyalgia, doctors proceed by elimination. They will therefore eliminate, one after the other, all other possible causes, by questioning the patients thoroughly, as well as by a global clinical examination. This process is very important, because the resemblance or even the coexistence with other diseases (joint pain, chronic fatigue, headache, etc.) could distort the diagnosis, to the detriment of the patient. Unfortunately, there is no biological or imaging test available today that can diagnose fibromyalgia.
The causes of fibromyalgia are still poorly defined, even if several hypotheses have been put forward. Most experts agree, however, that it is a multifactorial disease :
- An abnormality in the threshold of perception of certain stimuli such as hot or cold. People with fibromyalgia react to stimuli that are usually painless, but also feel pain more quickly and intensely.
- Failure to adapt to stress : Fibromyalgia may be triggered by stressors.
- Sleep disorders : various sleep abnormalities are generally present in fibromyalgia patients.
- Genetic factors : studies have shown a genetic component. Indeed, it has been shown that several people can suffer from fibromyalgia in certain families.
The treatment of fibromyalgia aims to :
- Reduction of pain
- Reduction of accumulated chronic fatigue
- A better quality of sleep
- A resumption, if possible, of activities stopped by the syndrome.
The League against Rheumatism (EULAR), with the help of a working group composed of 18 European experts, has formulated recommendations concerning the management of patients suffering from fibromyalgia. Thus, EULAR advises an individual and personalized management of each patient according to the symptoms and pain encountered, and gives priority to non-medicinal measures over drug treatment.
- Regular muscle training with weights or elastics has very good effects on the reduction of perceived pain, from 2 to 3 points on a scale of 0 to 10.
- Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (CBT) can teach patients to change their thinking about pain.
- Hydrotherapy is the practice of exercising in water and has been shown to reduce pain in patients.
- Acupuncture also has positive effects in reducing pain in the treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome.
Finally, the group of experts also suggests that patients should take a multidisciplinary approach to reducing their symptoms by combining the use of medication with psychotherapy and physiotherapy.
Fibromyalgia and CBD
CBD, whose real name is cannabidiol, is a molecule found in industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa). Numerous studies have shown that the effects of CBD have an extremely wide therapeutic potential. CBD is one of the most famous cannabinoids, along with THC, known for its psychotropic effects. Unlike THC, cannabidiol (CBD) is not psychotropic, so its marketing and consumption are authorized. It is most often found in the form of CBD oil, which facilitates its consumption. A pipette of CBD oil in the morning and evening, and that's it! The CBD (cannabidiol) that we offer is derived from Cannabis Sativa, and does not contain THC (0% THC).Let's see together the studies that show the interest of consuming CBD oil (cannabidiol) when suffering from fibromyalgia.
- According to several research findings, the effect of CBD acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. (MECHA et al. 2013, KOZELA et al. 2013, Li et al. 2013)
- CBD reduces pain, as demonstrated by several scholars. (Lu et al.2015, GENNARO et al. 2017)
- In 2013, a study of 48 patients with anxiety disorders highlighted the anxiolytic effects of CBD, even at low doses.
- In 2015, a study from the University of Cantabria in Spain showed that CBD (cannabidiol) could be a new fast-acting antidepressant drug, as it amplifies signaling pathways in the cerebral cortex. (Serotonin and glutamate response)
- In 2016, an Israeli study came to the same conclusion, CBD shows anti-depressant properties.
- In 2012, a study conducted by the MUSEC gave extremely interesting results in the treatment by CBD of pain related to painful muscle tension.CBD promotes deep and restful sleep. (CHAGAS et al. 2013)