CBD and Degenerative disc disease
Among the many causes of back pain, degenerative disc disease is one of the most common. This disease is caused by the progressive wear and tear of the intervertebral discs. What are the symptoms ? How can they be made more bearable, and how can CBD improve your condition? We answer all these questions in this post.
What is Degenerative disc disease ?
The spinal column is the framework of the human body. It supports the skeleton, and without it, it would be impossible for us to stand upright. Measuring a little over 70 cm in adults, it consists of a stack of 33 vertebrae (the bones of the spine), 24 of which are mobile, and 23 intervertebral discs. These discs have 3 functions :
- Shock absorber, the intervertebral discs look like small cushions whose role is to absorb shocks and distribute pressure.
- Mobility, they give the column a certain mobility.
- Ligament, each disc unites 2 vertebrae between them (for those that are mobile)
Degenerative disc disease is characterized by deterioration of these discs, which may have become dehydrated or packed. This may be due to excessive and repeated stress throughout life. It is usually a natural process, linked to aging. Discopathy becomes pathological when its effects cause disabling back pain.
How to recognize a degenerative disc disease ?
The main symptom is back pain, which will take a different name depending on its location.
- Low back pain, with pain in the lower back.
- Dorsalgia, when the pain is in the middle of the back
- Nervicalgia when the gene is in the neck.
This pain in the back is sometimes accompanied by other symptoms, such as stiffness and tingling.
The diagnosis is established by a clinical examination, during which the doctor will observe the mobility of the back. An X-ray or MRI will confirm the diagnosis.
The treatment of degenerative disc disease is mainly aimed at relieving the pain caused by the disease. Various medications are offered such as analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, infiltrations, and of course, rest.physiotherapy will help to maintain mobility.when medications and physiotherapy are no longer sufficient to relieve the pain caused by the disease, surgery can help to return to an almost normal life.
CBD and degenerative disc disease.
CBD (Cannabidiol) is a molecule found in industrial hemp (Cannabis Sativa), and if we hear more and more talk lately, it is for a good reason. Numerous studies have shown that the effects of CBD have an extremely broad therapeutic potential. The CBD of its real cannabidiol is one of the most famous cannabinoids, along with THC known for its psychotropic effects. Unlike THC, cannabidiol (CBD) is not psychotropic, so its marketing and consumption is legal. It is most often consumed in the form of CBD oil, which facilitates its consumption. Half a teaspoon of CBD oil morning and evening, and that's it! Let's take a look at the studies that show the benefits of consuming CBD oil (cannabidiol) when suffering from degenerative disc disease.
- Researchers from the University of São Paulo have shown that CBD (cannabidiol) strongly mitigated the effects of an intervertebral disc injury in rats. (SILVEIRA et al. 2014)
- According to several studies, the effect of CBD acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. (MECHA et al. 2013, KOZELA et al. 2013, Li et al. 2013)
- CBD reduces pain, as many studies have shown. (Lu et al.2015, GENNARO et al. 2017)